With the continuous momentum that central bank digital currencies (CBDCs) are gaining around the world, educational efforts about its key concepts are not staying apace, resulting in staggered discussions about different aspects of CBDCs and rising levels of uncertainty. With the goal to move the needle in this matter, the DEA’s first online Digital Money Academy takes place on Thursday, July 27th, 2023.
The Digital Money Academy aims at educating the general public and covers key concepts such as an introduction to CBDCs, technology, lessons learned from central banks worldwide, the current status quo of CBDC development worldwide, use cases and value propositions of retail CBDCs.
These aspects will be presented by industry experts involved in the design, research and discussions on the implications of retail CBDCs. The format allows for lectures of sufficient depth to gain a general understanding of CBDCs and their impact on the future of digital money. The Digital Money Academy is designed in a way that lets you, as part of the audience, interact with industry and subject matter experts. During the Digital Money Academy, you will also have the opportunity to ask direct questions and you will receive the materials used during the Digital Money Academy as part of the course (where available).
After this one day Digital Money Academy, you will be able to :
- understand and explain different kinds of CBDCs, their functions and their specific use cases
- identify and judge the suitability of intricate CBDC design features for different monetary policy goals and CBDC developments worldwide
- understand the progress of CBDC development and lessons learned in Hungary and Kazakhstan
- discuss key technological aspects of CBDCs and grow your understanding for CBDCs in practice
- identify and evaluate potentials, risks of CBDC implementation and cybersecurity risks
- identify and evaluate value propositions of CBDCs
- assess the impact of CBDCs on the financial sector and financial stability of a country or a currency union
- identify sources and strategies that support the students to stay up to date with the newest CBDC developments
About the Digital Euro Association
The Digital Euro Association (DEA) is a think tank specializing in crypto assets, stablecoins, central bank digital currencies (CBDC), and other forms of digital money. Our mission is to contribute to the public and political discourse through research, education, and by providing a platform for discussion and a community for policy-makers, technologists, and economists. We are committed to independence and excellence, aiming to set the agenda and to shape policy by encouraging new ideas and forward-thinking in the field of digital money. We deal with new and innovative topics such as the digital, programmable Euro and Libra, but also with “classical” crypto assets such as Bitcoin and Ether.