The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) announced today the 19 finalists for the “Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Finance Global Challenge” under the 2023 Global FinTech Hackcelerator. The finalists submitted solutions such as the use of cognitive AI technology to process financial documents at scale, Large Language Models to generate environmental, social, and governance (ESG) sentiment analysis for financial institutions and investors, and Generative AI to identify and evaluate financial risks.
2. 12 finalists were shortlisted through the Local Programme and another seven finalists from the International Partner Programme.
- Local Programme – MAS, AI Singapore (AISG), and Oliver Wyman shortlisted 12 finalists from over 160 submissions which addressed 16 problem statements collated from financial institutions and industry players. Over 130 submissions were from the Asia Pacific region.
- International Partner Programme – This programme attracted submissions from selected FinTech solution providers of AI-related competitions organised by international partners. This year’s international partners are Accelpoint and the Polish Investment & Trade Agency  , Paris Institute for Sustainable Finance  , Nanyang Technological University of Singapore and the Indian Ministry of Education under India’s G20 Presidency  , Ecobank Group  and Elevandi Japan  .
3. The finalists will undergo a 10-week programme, organised by Oliver Wyman, during which they will collaborate and network with corporates, investors, and industry professionals to further refine their solutions. This year’s Hackcelerator includes a technical judging round for finalists to showcase the technical aspects of their solution. They will go on to pitch their solutions at the Global FinTech Hackcelerator Demo Day at the Singapore FinTech Festival  (SFF) on 15 November 2023. All 19 finalists will receive a S$20,000 cash stipend and a start-up kiosk at SFF to showcase their solutions. The top three winners will each receive S$50,000 in prize money. These winners can also apply for the exclusive AISG Start Up  grant to qualify for a further prize money of up to S$500,000.
4. Mr Sopnendu Mohanty, Chief FinTech Officer, MAS said, “The overwhelming number of applications this year is a clear indication of the industry’s commitment to develop cutting-edge AI solutions to solve real industry needs. We look forward to seeing our finalists achieve greater success in further developing the technologies and AI use-cases for the industry.”
5. Mr Chia Tek Yew, Vice Chairman, Singapore of Oliver Wyman said, “Artificial Intelligence holds great promise for financial services, and the excitement in this field is apparent as we received a high number of applications for this year’s AI-focused MAS Global FinTech Hackcelerator. We saw most applications for problem statements around risk compliance, operational efficiency, and customer experience. We look forward to journeying with the finalists and their corporate champions, as they tackle industry’s challenges, and shape an AI-driven future for the sector.”
6. Professor Mohan Kankanhalli, Deputy Executive Chairman, AISG said, “The recent developments in AI are not an incremental technological shift, but rather, a significant advance that can be transformative for consumers and businesses in the finance industry. The finalists of the AI in Finance Global Challenge stand at the cusp of this transformation, and we are looking forward to see how their innovations will address existing challenges while creating greater opportunities for the future.”
7. Please refer to Annex A for more information on the Local and International Programmes, finalists, judging panel and corporate mentors.
-  by and the .
-  by .
-  by and the under India’s G20 Presidency.
-  by .
-  Rise Together Challenge by .
-  Organised by the Monetary Authority of Singapore and Elevandi, in partnership with Constellar and in collaboration with The Association of Banks in Singapore, the Singapore FinTech Festival will take place from 15 to 17 November 2023.
-  Subject to qualifying conditions.
Source : https://www.mas.gov.sg/news/media-releases/2023/mas-announces-19-finalists-for-2023-global-fintech-hackcelerator